Wednesday 29 January 2014

Feedback Tutorial 21/01/14

Feeling apprehensive about the feedback tutorial over Christmas, it was a relief to  finally be able to hear how I could improve in my work, and of course the grade. I was very happy to see that I managed to maintain a First, as while I was happy with most of the work I created I felt that I hadn't developed it enough or created enough. I always feel that I haven't created enough work though, but I guess that is a good position to be in.

One of the main issues I felt that arose from the feedback is that I need to articulate the issues I want to address as an artist, what I want to say and comment on in my work. Who am I as an artist? This is extremely difficult for me, as it has been something I have never been quite sure of, so I really need to sit and think about this properly. Despite this, Liz told me I had lots of ideas generating and many directions I could develop my work, which is good to hear as I feared I had no real, or 'set' ideas. She strongly recommended I choose one idea or path in my work and push it for the next few weeks, as it may help with defining my myself as an artist in addition to pushing one area in my work to the limit. I think this will be beneficial as if it doesn't work, I have only spent a few weeks on it, so I can go back and choose a better idea to run with.

Another suggestion is to start considering the scale of things, and how I can present them. While I had a trial set-up in the gallery space last year, I feel that I didn't gain anything from it and wasn't entirely sure how to approach or properly curate the ideas I had in my mind, and I wasn't successful in articulating them int the gallery setting. Liz also told me to consider setting myself 'curatorial problems' for me to solve. For example, if I were to create a floor based work, how would I go about it? How would I create a work for a certain space? This I feel is a good idea to consider, although probably at a later date when I've generated some new work.

I found that when I felt stuck, I would return to the collection of natural specimens I had collected and draw or work from them. Liz has said that instead of doing this, refer back to the drawings I have already created. By doing this, I could start to develop the work beyond what it's representing. It was also noted that I've been tentative in my approach to the work I've created over the last semester, which I have to agree with. I'm not entirely sure why this has happened, as I felt rather daring and took more risks in my first year and that seems to have disappeared.

I'm going to create a list of possible ideas that I could pursue, and with each ask myself:
Why would I follow this idea? How? What would I be saying by doing this?

No comments:

Post a Comment