Saturday 1 February 2014

Giuseppe Penone

Having looked briefly at Giuseppe Penone's work last semester on a superficial level, I want to continue to look at him more closely this semester as I feel looking at his artistic practice may hold a lot of inspiration for me. To begin I took some books out of the library about his work, in addition to his writing as I think it's another way he used to explore his ideas and work, and may be something I want to start doing as well. He has a very poetic way of writing. In the books I have about his writing, it includes images of his artwork in addition to sketches and drawings he creates while trying to imagine his works. I think I need to look more closely at his sketches and drawings, and possibly find out more about them, as his way of panning out his works could be of some benefit to me. I don't tend to sketch out ideas for work in this way, and I think it's something I should start doing more often as it could result in even better, more resolved work.

Reading about Penone's work, there is a lot of reference to touch, the human body and its relationship to nature, the limits of the body. This really links in with the workshops and lectures I had with Robert Luzar last year, and the ideas he was discussing. I should revisit these I think, and what I learnt from them. I reordered one of his lectures so I will post it on here and listen to it again. I also had a tutorial with Luzar last year, and he gave me some good insight into these kinds of ideas to do with touch, so in a way my work relates to this much more than I first realised. He also gave me a reading list, such as Corpus, by Jean-Luc Nancy, which I have started to read so will definitely finish as it also links in strongly to this. There are a lot of philosophical elements here that I should really research and consider, in Penone's work and what Robert Luzar discussed in the workshops and with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment