Sunday 2 February 2014

What do I want to say in my work? Who am I as an artist?

With quite a few revelations regarding my work this past week, I've been thinking about my work and what it's about this weekend quite a lot. What is it I want to comment on/discuss in my work? I mention science a lot, but is it really what my work is about? Is it something I want to comment on in my artwork, or something I'm just interested in? I understand that I couldn't possibly include everything I'm interested in, in my artwork, so it could be that science is just more of a personal interest instead of the main subject in my work. I may use some scientific methods in my work, but are they really me commenting on science? Or do I use these methods as another way of looking at the objects I'm studying? And if science is a part of the message I want to discuss in my work, what do I even mean by 'science'? It is such a broad term and encompasses so many things, I think that I've been using it too loosely.

I think, maybe, that I'm not so interested in science in terms of commenting on it in my work, and more using it as a tool to explore nature in my work. Having a personal interest in it doesn't mean I have to include it in my artwork so wholly, and this is where I've been struggling, I think. While using a microscope may be seen to be referencing science, but it may be just nothing more than a tool to view nature with technology that allows us to see it in another way - closer up, in a more narrow, focused view from the whole of 'nature'. Looking through the microscope, you can only see what's in the circular lens, unlike in a forest where you are surrounded by elements of nature that can become overwhelming to the senses. But is this what I want to comment on in my work (how we view nature)? I'm not entirely sure, it may be a part of what I'm trying to draw upon in my art. Or it could be more similar to artists like Giuseppe Penone, wherein he comments on mans relationship with nature. Maybe I'm commenting on our relationship with nature, and how we view it through the scope of technology/science. However, this still doesn't feel quite right to me.

Is it simply a discussion on how I view nature? I often focus in on the smaller details, like when I'm on a walk in the forest. The texture of the bark on a particularly interesting tree, the fungi growing on an old tree stump, how the roots of the forest create natural 'staircases' on the hills. I tend to focus less on the whole, and more on the smaller microcosm of nature. If this is the case, is this enough to warrant creating work worth looking at to other people? Possibly, maybe not. I understand this may have more to do with my own confidence issues at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment