Tuesday 4 February 2014

I've received this book that I ordered in the post today. I decided to buy this book on Giuseppe Penone as it covers his more recent work, as well as looking back over his whole artistic career, and adds another interesting book to my personal art library that I can refer back to. From what I've read so far, I've discovered a lot of new things about his work. I believe this book was published alongside an exhibition of his work at Art Gallery of Ontario, webpage here:

http://www.ago.net/giuseppe-penone-the-hidden-life-within/

 "Penone’s practice pulsates with an awareness of a common vital force in all living things. Insights are gained through physical exploration of space. This ongoing exchange between the self and the world can be seen in the way Penone relates his art to nature — an interaction between inner and outer realms. Inspired by the quiet slowness of growth in the natural world, the work suggests a sense of time much broader than that encountered in our daily existence."

“My artwork shows, with the language of sculpture, the essence of matter and tries to reveal with the work, the hidden life within.”
–Giuseppe Penone

I've began to read one of the essays within the book, and it draws on some comparisons I've been mulling over in my mind between Penone's and Richard Long's work. The essay articulates some of the similarities they share that I haven't been able to pin down myself. I'll be writing about this essay and comparison in more detail once I've read and understood it thoroughly. I felt that there were bound to be similarities between their works, as Arte Povera and Land Art were taking place at around the same time, and seem to hold similar ideas and sensibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment