Sunday 4 May 2014




After doing research into various materials I could use for the drawings, I decided upon using tinted charocal pencils, and chose a colour that was similar to the marker pens I would be suing on the tracing paper, so the work is clearly one piece. I used the pencil as a rough guide, changing certain parts or elements of the drawing to better fit the space of the wall, such as elongating the wings or roots to better make use of the space. I initially bought only two charcoal pencils, but soon realised that I would need many more, as they were wearing down much faster than I anticipated. The texture of the wall meant it took the charcoal pigment much better than expected, and added a 'tooth' to the drawing that I quite liked. However, to reduce the gaps within the lines a little, I used my finger to blend larger areas into the walls surface more, or a blending stump to blend the lines I had drawn with precision. As this was quite a long process, the two wall drawings took longer than I first expected, taking up three of the four days given to us for install. However I felt that I could still achieve everything I wanted to do within the time frame, and also knowing we had a few hours on Friday morning, before the show opened, gave me a little extra time.

No comments:

Post a Comment